Act To Support Outdoor School for All Maine Students - 2023 Legislative Effort
2023 Legislative Language:
- Click HERE to read the legislative language on LD 1817, “An Act to Support Outdoor Education by Establishing the Outdoor School for All Maine Students Program.”
- This is NOT a mandate, but provides equitable opportunity for access.
Language developed over years of informational interviews, listening sessions, professional lobbying efforts, networking and collaboration.
Outdoor School for All Maine Students will:
● Provide $6.2M annually for 3 years to establish the Outdoor School for All Maine Students Fund
● Grants are provided to overnight outdoor education providers for students to attend overnight, multi-day programs
● Outdoor School providers partner with Maine schools and school districts to be eligible for grant funding
● Administered by UMaine Cooperative Extension
● Focus on equitable access, evaluation, and formation of an Outdoor School for All Advisory Committee
Deeply collaborative and broadly supported:
○ Statewide effort across sectors, organizations, networks, and leadership. ○ Governor’s Office of Policy Innovation and the Future; UMaine; Maine Dept. of Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry; Maine Dept. of Education; Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife; Maine Environmental Education Association; Nature Based Education Consortium; bipartisan legislators; statewide network of outdoor education centers; etc.